|Table of contents|
The other day, one of my coworkers bumped into me and my freshly refilled cup of coffee forcing me to search for the perfect coffee-stain removal. Of course she felt horrible because she knows that a drip of coffee can ruin your day and your blouse; but that drip doesn't have to be such a trouble maker. Coffee itself just makes a pesky stain once spilled - as it dries, liquid evaporates more efficiently from the drop's thinner edges, forming that dark, halo-esque translucent shape. Luckily, there are a number of quick and easy ways to remove a coffee stain. Follow the tips below and you'll be coffee stain free in no time.
1 | What you'll need
- Cold water
- Sponge (optional)
- A few drops of your favorite detergent
- Knife to cut the lemon
- Vinegar (optional)
- Baking soda (optional)
- Somewhere to line-dry your clothes in the sun
Option 1: Wet it - If the stain is fresh, meaning the coffee hasn't dried yet, just add water.
1. Turn the fabric over or inside out.
2. Run cold water through the stain or use a sponge to wet the fabric.;
About Home recommends using cold water and running it through from the back side of the stain.
*If the coffee hasn't completely gone through yet, this prevents it from spreading deeper into the fabric
Mr. Breakfast takes this tip a step further, adding baking soda to a wet washcloth to get the stains out.
1. Soak the stained fabric in cool water for 30 minutes.
2. Try mixing a little of your favorite laundry detergent with water to create a concentrated mixture.
*If you use liquid detergent, you don't have to add water; a couple drops will do.
3. Rub the mixture over the whole surface of the stain and leave it there for about 5 minutes.
4. Massage the mixture into the stain again and let set for another 5 minutes.
5.Optional: Repeat the last step one more time.
6. If the stain is still there, try; Cleanipedia's vinegar tip.
7. Wash the garment - only after the stain is completely gone.
Option 3: Lemon and Sunlight
Is the stain on a white garment? If so, the sun and some lemon juice may be able to assist you!
*If your attempts didn't work in the previous tips, try this one by Naturally Mindful.
1. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the stain.
2. Rub the lemon juice over the whole surface of the stain.
3. Hang the article of clothing outside in direct sunlight for a few hours.
Always try stain removal options on an inconspicuous area of the fabric before in case discoloration occurs.
Only try lemon juice and sunlight on white clothes.
If you spilled on an unwashable fabric, always leave it to the professionals.4 | That was Easy
An early morning coffee spill is usually the last thing you want to have to deal with, but now you know how to treat the resulting stains. Have you ever thought you ruined your clothes with coffee? Were you able to get the stains out eventually?More laundry solutions